Winmodems in Hoary, update

thully at umich.edu thully at umich.edu
Wed Dec 15 18:45:14 CST 2004

UPDATE on Ubuntu Winmodem support:
I e-mailed Linuxant about supporting Ubuntu directly w/the HSF drivers (while
the Debian packages work, there are some issues), and they said that they would
consider it.  I also have been e-mailing them as to the possibility of free
redistribution, and I'm still waiting.

I'd encourage anybody who may be interested in Winmodem support in Hoary to
e-mail  manufacturers and request support for Ubuntu and free redistribution
rights.  Once this is done, it seems like these could vary possibly be packages
(as Debian has some packages, this may be trivial, although I have no packaging
experience and limited time, so I don't think I could do it) and added to
"restricted".  This would make life easier for many modem users, as they
wouldn't have to track down drivers and save a copy before installing Ubuntu,
and then fuss around with them after install.