gnome menus

Fabrice Rousselle froussel at matrox.com
Tue Dec 14 08:54:28 CST 2004

Hi,

I like the modifications ubuntu brought to the gnome-menu but find the
latest configuration a bit misleading.

For example, the "applications" menu contains a "system tools" entry,
yet, we have a "system" menu. I would have expected that entry to be
located there.

Similarly, the "system" menu contains the "preferences" entry that does
not apply to the entire system but just to the user... Also, a newcomer
could be puzzled by the difference between "preferences" and "system
settings".

Finally, the "places" menu does not contain only places but also a
search tool and recent documents.

I think it could be nicer to have something like "applications", "user"
and "system" menus.

The "applications" menu would be left as is, minus the "system tools".

The "user" menu would be the current "places" menu with the
"preferences" added.

The "system" menu would be the same, with the "preferences" entry
removed and the "system tools" added.

Anyway, congratulations on the great job!

Fabrice