Directory Service for Ubuntu

Mark Roach mrroach at okmaybe.com
Sun Dec 12 17:51:10 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 05:01:24PM +0100, Manuel Zach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in the last time I was thinking a lot about directory services and
> this takes me on an idea.
[...]
> I think we should start a project with the target to get an 100% free,
> open, stable, secure, ...
> directory service which is comparable with eDirectory or AD.
[...]
> I think it would be great, if we have a good administration tool to
> set up and maintain the server and to have  a good client support.

Hi, Manuel. I want to mention a program I have been working on: EDS
Admin (http://edsadmin.sourceforge.net). It is a gtk + python app for
managing LDAP user directories. Unlike other LDAP programs, it doesn't
try to be a swiss army knife; it tries to manage users and groups well.

The current version auto-detects LDAP servers using either DNS SRV
records or rendezvous. As soon as I can get some strange bugs squashed
in the openldap/kerberos/sasl combo, it will also support auto-login to
the directory server for the domain(realm). It also supports samba
accounts and groups, and I plan to support Lorikeet (Samba + Heimdal +
LDAP SSO solution) as soon as possible.

I have done a RFS on debian-mentors for it, if anyone likes it and could
help me get it in that would be nifty :-)

With Ubuntu's (and UserLinux's and one day Debian's) goal of few debconf
questions, I had planned to add a "Realm Prep Assistant" to edsadmin.
Ghe Rivero and others have some work towards that sort of a tool (which I
plan to steal :-) at kis.alioth.debian.org. Does that fit with what you
had in mind?

-Mark