Suggestions for Hoary

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Sun Dec 12 10:28:09 CST 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 11:55:17AM +0100, Christoffer Soerensen wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 13:42 +0100, Michael Vogt wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:10:59PM +0100, Christoffer Soerensen wrote:
> > > 2) Update Manager / Upgrade notifier. I could not get upgrade notifier
> > > to work, but hopefully it will work someday!
> > What exactly is not working for you?
>
> Well, I ran upgrade notifier and waited for an icon to appear in the
> notification area. It didn't appear.
>
> When I ran an 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade' packages were
> upgraded. This, I assumed, was the job for Update Manager / Upgrade
> notifier.

upgrade-notifier checks once per day for updates.  It does not force a check
when it is started up (it is designed to run in your GNOME session).

> I have tried to find some documenation on especially upgrade notifier, but
> didn't find any.

It is still in a relatively early stage of development, but if you are
interested in helping with the documentation, that would be great.  A page
in the wiki would be a good start.

--
 - mdz