Package management tools

Krysztof Luks kluks at iq.pl
Wed Dec 8 13:29:41 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 20:09 +0100, Eric Feliksik wrote:
> I like the idea of http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/PackageManagementTools .
>
> I have some comments:
>
> 1) It's cool to have a upgrade-notifier that notifies in systray
>
> 2) It's good to see an easier package-management tool, because I think
> synaptic is way too complex for simply adding programs; it shows
> libraries and other things a user doens't want to know about (they
> probably can be filtered out, but that doesn't happen now).

I once tried to write "user friendly" package manager for Debian but
gave up because of the complexity of dpkg and apt libraries. In my
opinion complete high level python bindings for libapt-inst and friends
would enable people to write nice and powerful GUI utilities.

--
Oczko nu się odlepiło, tenu phoebe'u.