Kernel security update would break ABI

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Fri Dec 3 12:43:20 CST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 07:35:13PM +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> i think the name should get changed, but a real big preinst/debconf
> warning for this package should show up (probably with a siren and a
> blinking desktop). to make sure the user notices the change, keep the
> upcoming support low and make the user feel ubuntu cares for him/her if
> such odd things happen (also a little explanation why all that happens
> would be cool).

This might be reasonable if the kernel packages already used debconf in
preinst, but that would be far too big a change to introduce in a security
update.  We have had some breakage forced upon us by the nature of the bug,
but we should try to keep it to a minimum.

This would be great to have implemented in linux-meta in Hoary, though.  Is
anyone able to work on it?

--
 - mdz