Laptop install mini-report / FAO Laptop Team

Gareth S Osler gsowww at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 22:10:59 CST 2004

> > > Disabling agp modules worked here with Dell Inspiron 8200.  If

OK, tried this, the Dell Latitude C600 runs an xfree ati driver, so the
nvagp option does not apply, and disabling kernel support for agpgart
did not make any difference.  I also tried to disable acpi and enable
apm, but acpi seems to over-ride no matter what so it seems at this
point that the Latitude does not support apm.

To summarise then acpi works but for some reason leaves the screen
blank, and after waking up from suspend to RAM, about 15 seconds later
for some reason the notebook flips back into a suspended state, but
works okay the second time it is woken up.  Disabled all the BIOS power
management options but still the same thing.  Looks like I'm going to
have to become an acpi expert to get to the root of this one :)

While I'm at it few more "comments in the code" aimed from a
non-technical user level:

- Am getting to like the gnome two panel scheme (top and desktop
panels).  It has a concrete feel about it that the Windows start button
scheme doesn't which has a more 'abstract' than concrete feel.
- The boot sequence shows an error on attempting to synchronise with a
time server (caused by being a dialup box and my configuring a time
server).  A normal user (on whose desktop Ubuntu is going to be
ubiquitous in the near future :) might be worried by this.
- I dragged a bookmark onto the desktop from firefox, at which point all
sorts of strange things happened before I realised the thing to do was
create a new launcher and copy the link details across - again a
non-technical user issue.

Overall though surprisingly few glitches when looking at things at this
non-technical level.

GSO