rlwrap 0.44 needed for bugfix w/ readline 8.1

Thomas Ward teward at thomas-ward.net
Fri Apr 29 03:00:09 UTC 2022

The package in Ubuntu for rlwrap is fed from Debian with no change
rebuilds as needed it seems, and in Debian there is not a newer version
packaged.  While it would be nice to get newest software, it looks like
the package might not be maintained since 2018 in Debian.  And there's a
bug in Debian requesting an updated version - 0.45.2. [1]

I don't know if the package is unmaintained, but it's probably something
that someone who cares to could try and go salvage in Debian, otherwise
we'd have to rely on Debian for the version, or do some kind of delta
which is generally something that is avoided where possible unless it's
needed.

Should the package be updated?  Probably, but it should be updated in
Debian first, and then only in Kinetic Kudu first if that doesn't happen.

I'm not sure if this is SRUable, but that's only 'cause I haven't dug to
see if a new version bump would be a suitable SRU.  And even then,
again, the updated versions have to land in Kinetic first.

Thomas

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=986294