Bugs in building glibc

rafi Moor moorrafi at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 29 04:35:18 UTC 2020

Hello,
I would like to report two bugs I’ve encountered while trying to build glibc on Ubuntu 18.04.
I’ve used glibc_2.27-3ubuntu1.3.
I’ve only investigated the source of the second, since I’ve found a workaround for the first.

1

Problem:
The following tests fail during the build:
FAIL: misc/tst-preadvwritev2
FAIL: misc/tst-preadvwritev64v2

Workaround:
Remove gdb for the time of the build. This make these unsupported and the tests are skiped.

2

Problem:
With kernel 5.5.7 and higher the following test fails:
FAIL: misc/test-errno-linux

Root cause:
In the file sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/test-errno-linux.c the first argument to quotactl() is Q_GETINFO instead of QCMD(Q_GETINFO, <type>)
Kernel 5.4.0 returns (wrongly) ENODEV which is in the list of expected errors, so the test passes.
Kernel 5.5.7 returns (correctly) EINVAL and the test fails

Solution:
Edit the file and replace the line:
                      quotactl, Q_GETINFO, NULL, -1, (caddr_t) &dqblk);
with:
                      quotactl, QCMD(Q_GETINFO,USRQUOTA), NULL, -1, (caddr_t) &dqblk);

Integrate the change in the build source:
dpkg-source --commit

In addition I couldn’t download glibc_2.27-3ubuntu1.3 with “apt source”, so I had do download it manually.