bash package source newer than installed

Florian König inflo at web.de
Sun Aug 30 17:36:47 UTC 2020

Hi,
i want to understand how i can download  a package and its source-code for debugging. I got ubuntu,

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Release:	20.04
Codename:	focal

and installed the source of bash with:

apt source bash
Reading package lists... Done
NOTICE: 'bash' packaging is maintained in the 'Bzr' version control system at:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~doko/+junk/pkg-bash-debian
Please use:
bzr branch http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~doko/+junk/pkg-bash-debian
to retrieve the latest (possibly unreleased) updates to the package.
Skipping already downloaded file 'bash_5.0-6ubuntu1.1.dsc'
Skipping already downloaded file 'bash_5.0.orig.tar.xz'
Skipping already downloaded file 'bash_5.0-6ubuntu1.1.debian.tar.xz'
Need to get 0 B of source archives.
Skipping unpack of already unpacked source in bash-5.0

and apt policy tells me:

apt policy bash
bash:
  Installed: 5.0-6ubuntu1.1
  Candidate: 5.0-6ubuntu1.1
  Version table:
 *** 5.0-6ubuntu1.1 500
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     5.0-6ubuntu1 500
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages

Setting up new repositories for ddebs in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ddebs.list

deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com focal main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://ddebs.ubuntu.com focal-proposed main restricted universe multiverse

update and install "apt install bash-dbgsym"

OK, so far, i installed the source of bash for the correct version. I think so :)

When i now want to debug with gdb the bash program, gdb will find the  /usr/lib/debug directory and the debug symbols, but it does not recursivly scan the source-code (installed with apt source bash).   I need to add all folders with the "--directory" argument to gdb.

When i now debug bash, and list source code with "list skipname"   (skipname is a function in glob.c, which is in bash source code folder)  it tells me, the source code is newer than installed ????

Why is that, what do i wrong ?

thanks in advance

flo