compatibility issue in environment-modules version 4.1.1-1

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Sun May 12 15:57:51 UTC 2019

Thanks for getting back.

On 2019-05-12 13:02, Gösta Ljungdahl wrote:
> In short: Xavier reproduced my issue in both Mint 19 and Ubuntu 18.04
> virtual machines. His analysis show that the environment module code
> stays on track and there is nothing that he can do to amend the code
> regarding initialisation via the sourcing of /etc/profile.d/-scripts.
> The derailment occurs after the initialisation of the program at the end
> of, in my case, lightdm-session which finishes like so (I quote Xavier):
>
> "Even though /usr/bin/lightdm-session is a #!/bin/bash script, it ends
> its execution by launching:
>
>    /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/im-launch cinnamon-session-cinnamon
>
> So ssh-agent launches /usr/bin/im-launch, which in turns launches
> /usr/bin/cinnamon-session-cinnamon. Both are #!/bin/sh scripts.
>
> So at that point, from what I understand, if /bin/sh points to
> /bin/dash, the defined shell functions are lost (including the 'module'
> shell function)."

When reading that I think: If variables are defined at initialization,
which are needed later on, why not simply turn them from pure shell
variables to environment variables by export'ing them? That would be a
change of the environment-modules code which ought to be doable.

[I refrain from copying the rest of your message at this time.]

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj