zram-config defaulting to zstd

Zack Coffey clickwir at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 04:33:34 UTC 2019

The default appears to be lzo-rle which was introduced by ARM devs as a
kernel default back in March 2019 as a way to get better performance.

They demonstrated a 27% improvement over lzo.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ZRAM-Linux-5.1-Better-Perform

I would suggest getting some evidence to backup a suggestion to change a
default like this.

What use cases does zstd give better compression?
What use cases does zstd perform better?
When is lzo/lzo-rle/zstd the suggested choice?