.deb package for Kitty Version: 0.11.3-1

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 10 14:16:11 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 08, 2018 at 01:13:28PM +0000, Keir Wayman wrote:
> I installed the above on my Ubuntu 18.x system. The installation deleted
> more than 90 packages including the gdebi package installer, the
> software-centre, ubuntu-cleaner & the usb disk creator.  It's a dangerous
> thing indeed!
>
> Yes, I know it tells you it's going to delete some packages before it
> starts, but really, this thing should have a health warning!

Installing arbitrary .deb files on a system can lead to a broken system
and is not recommended for this reason, as you discovered. You should
stick to installing software from the software center only. Anything
else risks the stability of the system, and you'll be at the whim of
whomever is giving you instructions to do something else.

I understand that power users typically do install from other sources,
and recommend others do so. You've just discovered why, in general, this
is a bad idea :(