Ubuntu 17.10 corrupting BIOS - many LENOVO laptops models - Bug #1734147

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Wed Nov 29 15:08:23 UTC 2017

Ralf Mardorf schreef op 29-11-2017 6:15:

> 1. Before I bought my new mobo, I ensured that it doesn't force me to
> use U/EFI/secure boot, to avoid all the known issues.

Can you tell me how Windows... I could look it up, but I have used.. or
maybe I haven't... All I' m saying is that I am running Windows 10
non-UEFI.

> Perhaps the OP's
> laptop allows this, too, so getting rid of an operating system
> enforcing
> its usage, repairing the laptop and then reinstalling Ubuntu or any
> other Linux distro without U/EFI/secure boot might be a solution.

Probably except that none of them can repair it, a few seem to be
capable of reflashing the BIOS, a lone person basically desoldered the
chip and reflashed it.

My own motherboard has issues with USB since booting Linux that seem to
be persistent.

Ie. all of my smaller cq. cheaper hubs have stopped working all at once.

This isn't a pure Linux issue for me but Linux definitely aggravates it
and it's really troublesome that I can't use any hubs at a distance.

My USB modem will work on 2 ports of a USB 3 card, but not on the
internal port, while another device works on it just fine. But I'm sure
in Windows, it does work on the internal port.

I was in a live session... played with a KVM switch... monitor went into
standby... (16.04) -- no keyboard or mouse still worked and I lost the
document I had been writing, and since it doesn't install an SSH server
by default I couldn't retrieve it otherwise.

That was a good document too.

Why not use USB to store it? Well the stick I ought to use for that had
issues with another motherboard where it would no longer work after
rebooting from Linux, so I am fearful of using it.

That is to say, I wanted to get rid of it already etc...

Why write in a live sesion? LVM destroyed my system again after I merged
a disconnected cache pool expecting it, a cache volume expecting it to
clean its own metadata before reconnecting.

Until the LVM in Zesty I believe it seriously will... it will not clean
the cache before connecting it.

Why am I still on 16.04? Well the last time... The last time LVM
destroyed my system because I had dd'd a harddisk and ran "lvs" after
that, and the LVM from Xenial will take the chance to happily...

> 2. Complete the Ubuntu bug report. Google might help you. Since the bug
> report is flagged as being incomplete, the OP much likely already got
> an email with hints, what is missing to complete it.

These were inexperienced users that saw their Laptop bricked.

I watched one bug report and there was no one actually asking for more
info.

> 3. Google also might help to report the bug to those responsible for
> it. Maybe Ubuntu isn't the culprit.

Ubuntu is the representative of its own system.