Updating Python-vtk for Xenial

Simon Quigley tsimonq2 at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 20 12:53:43 UTC 2017

Hi there,

> We are currently using python-vtk6 on the apt repository. We have tried
> installing vtk8 via their own documentation but are unable to build it
> for Ubuntu. We very much need vtk8 on ubuntuĀ and are unsure as to how to
> get vtk8 on the repository.

I'll be happy to assist you with this, but I can see two routes here:
 1. Backport the package to a PPA and enable the PPA on all of your systems.
 2. Use the official Ubuntu Backports repository. Here is the
documentation for that: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBackports

vtk8 will probably not land in xenial-updates because of our SRU
procedure, which you can find here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
but we can use the other methods described to get it packaged.

<snip />
> I really look forward to hearing back from you, thanks for your time.

If you have any more questions, or if you would like me to directly help
you backport it, please feel free to email me or ping me on IRC.

--
Simon Quigley
tsimonq2 at ubuntu.com
tsimonq2 on freenode and OFTC