When will the lighttpd be updated on xenial

Cadence cadence at obfusc.at
Tue Jan 17 18:47:53 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-15 5:14 PM, Robie Basak wrote:
> Hi Cadence,
>
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 01:06:03AM -0500, Cadence wrote:
>> The latest version of lighttpd available for xenial is 1.4.35 from April
>> 2016. There were lots of new lighttpd versions since then. Most notably for
>> me, 1.4.42 introduced mod_authn_mysql authentication. When will this version
>> be available for ubuntu xenial?
> In Xenial? Probably never. Users of a stable release don't expect new
> features to suddenly appear for most packages. If they wanted that,
> they'd upgrade to a newer Ubuntu release.
>
> The next release of Ubuntu ("Zesty"), probably in April, will probably
> include lighttpd 1.4.44 or higher. Please see
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates for the policy and
> rationale on this.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I have better
understanding on how the upgrade process works in Ubuntu now. I have
read the links that you guys provided. It is pretty clear to me now.
I was able to solve my original problem without mod_authn_mysql, using
the current Lighttpd in xenial, so I don't need the new version anymore.
But all the information you provided will be useful when I have a
similar problem in the future, so thanks again.

- Cadence