When will the lighttpd be updated on xenial

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Jan 16 10:37:45 UTC 2017

Cadence schreef op 14-01-2017 7:06:
> Hi,
>
> The latest version of lighttpd available for xenial is 1.4.35 from
> April 2016. There were lots of new lighttpd versions since then. Most
> notably for me, 1.4.42 introduced mod_authn_mysql authentication. When
> will this version be available for ubuntu xenial?
> Is there any other repository where I can get the latest version? Or
> is installing from source the only option for me (I don't really want
> to go that way because of maintenance issues).

I just want to add that April is not that long ago. Yes it is not
cutting edge but these are all minor versions as well.

I think the only real way for applications to be completely current is
if the original developers are also the ones who package. In the
"Windows" or "Mac" world this is what happens, of course. Linux has
always been too dispersed for developers to be packagers (too many
diverse platforms to package for) as even Linus himself complained as he
(they) did not offer Linux packages of their diving app.

Regardless Ubuntu did seek and I think has had some success in
integrating this world a little more. On the other hand, even though
those developers would not directly have access to Ubuntu's
repositories, (or Debians) it is still in the end up to the authors to
publish and promote their own software, I feel.

If you install Opera on Ubuntu it has its own PPA that pushes updates.
You can't do that for a zillion apps with the repository system we have
even though it may very well be done that way.

But the best you can hope for is to become accustomed to packaging and
then do the work yourself, I guess. I still haven't learned the ropes
yet myself. Ideally, in the end, it should be authors who also publish,
I feel.

I think the best we can do here is to promote software developers for
supplying Ubuntu/Debian packages of their own. Ubuntu is not that
diverse. There are not infinite versions you need to deal with. What I
think should be more clear is whether some "base" libraries will remain
available, what versions to expect, etc.

I think every release should have something of a clearer picture of what
libraries will be available on /every/ installation of that release.
Perhaps Ubuntu tries to solve that with the Snappy Core thing, but I
think some library stability is essential in the main system as well. If
this picture becomes clearer then developers know better what to expect
and can more easily determine which version of their software can be
made available on what platform (version of Ubuntu, in this case).