Target kernel for bionic?

J Fernyhough j.fernyhough at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 19:49:52 UTC 2017

On 31/10/17 10:37, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> I'd love it if there was a first-hand public statement from Greg or
> someone similar that said their intent is for every new LTS kernel to
> be supported for 6 years. Or that 4.14 will definitely be an Extended
> LTS.

Just to finish this off (and only having come back to this), on his
Google+ page [1] Greg KH has said that /only/ 4.4 is currently in line
for "extended long-term support" from him, and 4.14 is only currently
planned to get two years.

4.14 /could/ get six (or more) depending on how 4.4 goes and/or whether
another kernel maintainer would pick it up.

However, there's a lot of "ifs" in there. So, ignore me and carry on as
you were. :)

(though having an LTS release on an LTS kernel would make for a nice
symmetry ;)

[1] https://plus.google.com/+gregkroahhartman/posts/ZUcSz3Sn1Hc