What happened to the *-dbg packages in Ubuntu 17.04?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 7 22:50:02 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 08:45:09PM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> I know a little work happened to make Ubuntu build debug packages as
> does Debian now, I guess this work will (very) slowly make them
> converge.

Kind of.  I think you're referring to:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1623256

So there is a bit of convergence, although I don't believe Ubuntu's
debhelper has yet gained the changes to take advantage of my
launchpad-buildd tweak.  I imagine that will happen at some point
though; converging debhelper where possible is generally worthwhile.

Debian uses the .deb extension rather than .ddeb, and switching to that
would be a rather more complex endeavour.  Personally I think this was a
mistake and argued that at the time, but I didn't succeed.  At any rate,
it would require some probably-possible but rather complex changes to
Launchpad's upload processor to make it able to handle using the same
extension for both.