My opinion on Ubuntu cancelling Intel 80386/80386-clone processor support

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sun Sep 18 13:29:54 UTC 2016

Oliver Grawert schreef op 18-09-2016 15:09:
> hi,
> On So, 2016-09-18 at 14:14 +0200, Xen wrote:
>>
>> That won't install Ubuntu onto a 32-bit system, now will it.
>
> it will, and snappy images will actually be staying around for 32bit
> since they target embedded, where you even still see a lot new 32bit
> only devices being produced and where memory size of the binaries can
> be essential (32bit ones being smaller on disk and consuming less ram)
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-snappy/xenial/current/ ...

So what would that imply????

Do I need a running system to unpack e.g. ubuntu-core-16-i386.img.xz
onto a root filesystem and then chroot and install grub?

Is there going to be an installer experience as well? But that would
require 32-bit (Ubiquity) ISOs.

> on 64bit desktops 32bit snaps can very well run... by design a snap
> ships its needed libs along (pretty much like a static build) and all
> amd64 based systems providing snap support are able to execute the
> 32bit snaps (the snap runtime environment on amd64 ships the 32bit libc
> by default to guarantee that).

I think it's not bad that Linux goes away from the "library network"
disaster that we've had for so long.