Future and impact of ongoing projects in Linux world

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Oct 12 19:12:32 UTC 2016

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 09:23:11 -0500, amon wrote:
>So I think the simplest way to fix this issue is to add x-gvfs-show to
>the mount or fstab man page. Those are the first place that most users
>of such a feature are going to look.

I seriously doubt that an Ubuntu maintainer will patch those man pages,
in such a wrong way, but you are free to suggest it. Regarding
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugsis this kind of feature
request belongs to this list.

Mentioning the GNOME Virtual file system by those man pages makes no
sense. If completely unrelated man pages would be polluted with
pointers to GVFS, using the man pages would become a PITA.

The man pages are amazing, very useful and they should stay very
useful.

No man page user would expect GVFS mentioned by man mount or man fstab.
Assuming that no Wiki/help page already should exist, consider to write
a Wiki/help page, since this is the appropriate place, to connect mount,
fstab and GVFS, the man pages for mount and fstab aren't.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu#Wiki

Regards,
Ralf