Future and impact of ongoing projects in Linux world

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Oct 10 17:01:42 UTC 2016

JMZ schreef op 10-10-2016 11:58:

> The vast majority of consumer boxes run Windows because of
> Microsoft's bundling deal with the manufacturers.  It's nothing really
> to do with Windows performance or ease of use (both of which are
> poor).  It's just that Mr./Ms. Everyday User doesn't really know much
> about computers, plugs the box in, and just uses what's presented to
> him/her.

That's not really true. The vast majority of people would go screaming
for a Windows or Mac PC if they had Linux preinstalled.

The level of system maintenance I would have to give to my family for a
Linux box is about 95%.

The level of system maintenance for an ordinary Windows machine
(provided it worked like Windows XP or Windows 7) would probably be some
20% for Windows XP and some 25% for Windows 7. That would mean that they
could do some 75% of maintenance tasks themselves, such as adding a new
user, changing power settings, moving their files around, installing
Dropbox, and my brother and sister could perfectly handle installing a
printer. Setting up OneDrive... those things I would never need to do
for any of them.

If you gave people the choice of Windows for pay or Linux for free I bet
some would choose to experiment with Linux. Perhaps 25% would be willing
to try it at least once, I'm not sure, as long as they could return the
thing and get Windows on it at the second chance.

> "Just works" is a fantasy.  There's plenty of Windows programs which
> don't "just work" -- I spend my days bouncing from one Windows box to
> another, trying to iron out small bugs or teach panicky users simple
> tasks.

This is more said of the Mac than of Windows. Mac users use those terms
to differentiate between Windows and their own systems.