Future and impact of ongoing projects in Linux world

Himanshu Shekhar himanshushekharb16 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 12:52:53 UTC 2016

I appreciate Xen's first response stating how things go on in Windows and
Apple.
I know that snaps and containers are very different things and function
differently.

I was less concerned about snaps coming to Ubuntu, than two standards,
namely Snaps and Flatpak coming to Linux.
Both are good in their intentions but they would again lead to confusion,
they way we have today.
Snaps/Flatpaks are intended to make applications distro-independent and
unify Linux development. However, two things for the same task would again
cause confusion about which to use / what will become the de-facto
standard.
**REPEAT** This reminds me of the state of Upstart, which after much
development was replaced by systemd **REPEAT**

I repeat that my concerns are Snaps/Flatpak and Wayland/Mir, not which of
them is better. (I didn't start this thread to debate which is better).
It is true that XServer is old and desktop/GUI computing has come a long
way than the client-server model.

I was eager to know how they are different, and how things in future are
planned to be, as the current state of development branches in Linux make
me feel like the chaotic scenario between distributions, packaging and
graphics server would continue for long.
--

Regards

Himanshu Shekhar