the fragile boot process [on encryption setups and home data]

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 02:20:15 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 2:23 AM, Xen <list at xenhideout.nl> wrote:

> If the halt-on-fstab-problem is Ubuntu related, then it is clear my message
> should have been sent here and not some other Linux distro or whatever.

The halt-on-fstab-problem isn't an Ubuntu feature, it's a systemd one.

systemd generates mount units from fstab entries. These units
"require" local-fs.target or remote-fs.target and boot'll fail if they
fail.

If you add "nofail" to an fstab entry's options, the generated mount
unit "wants" local-fs.target or remote-fs.target and boot won't fail
if it fails.

PS: This is more of an ubuntu-users question; or even a Google one
given how well-known this issue is.