The Simple Things in Life

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 02:13:10 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 15:01 -0700, Markus Lankeit wrote:
> Adding my $0.02...
>
> If you pick "samba file server" during install, libnss-winbind
> libpam-winbind are not installed by default.  It took me a long to
> time to track down why in 16.04 I can "join" an AD domain just fine,
> but domain users get "access denied" to samba file shares.  Not sure
> the logic behind not installing relevant packages...

To be fair, configuring Samba is non-trivial, and I often think joining
a domain as a member rather than a domain controller is some incidental
feature that's a prerequisite for being a domain controller.  Samba
doesn't seem to support being a domain member very well at all, to the
point that searching on errors and asking Google how to get a Samba
domain member to authenticate to a different domain controller (because
you joined on a RWDC network and now need to authenticate against a
RODC) brings up documentation on configuring Samba as a domain
controller.
I configure Samba all the time; I have no idea how it works, and when
it breaks I'm lost.  To put this into perspective, I know how
*everything* works, and when it breaks I can project the entire
configuration and behavior and identify something I probably should
have seen before--something unfamiliar, which I haven't inspected, but
which I was able to assembly by simply throwing the state together in
my head and making myself aware that some problem exists somewhere.  I
have NO IDEA why my Linux servers can authenticate to Active Directory;
I just know I did things to PAM and nsswitch.conf and repeatedly ran a
dozen forms of net join until, despite consistently throwing errors and
failing, the server magically started authenticating.
More basically, Samba can be a Samba file server without joining an AD
domain.

Ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com