The Simple Things in Life

Nish Aravamudan nish.aravamudan at canonical.com
Tue Jul 19 22:13:03 UTC 2016

On 19.07.2016 [15:01:46 -0700], Markus Lankeit wrote:
> Adding my $0.02...
>
> If you pick "samba file server" during install, libnss-winbind
> libpam-winbind are not installed by default.  It took me a long to time to
> track down why in 16.04 I can "join" an AD domain just fine, but domain
> users get "access denied" to samba file shares. Not sure the logic behind
> not installing relevant packages...

Thanks for bringing this up -- I think this is due to libpam-smbpass
being removed/deprecated and being replaced with libpam-winbind. I will
file a post-release FFe bug (unless you've already filed a bug?) to
change the seed for xenial, we'll see what happens.  I've already
updated the 16.10 seeds to install libpam-winbind.

Note that earlier Ubuntu releases did not require (I'm guessing?)
libnss-winbind (libpam-winbind suggests it, but doesn't require it). In
your environment, is it strictly necessary in order to join the AD
domain?

Thanks,
Nish
--