Missing new kernel after upgrade 14.04 -> 16.04

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Jan 19 20:13:21 UTC 2016

Ryein Goddard wrote:
> If you install a non-generic kernel maybe it is assumed you know what
> you are doing and want to use that kernel?

I'm not sure what you mean by "non-generic kernel". After all the linux-
generic-lts-* packages come from the Ubuntu repositories. They are
provided to enable current hardware with the LTS release. Granted, I
know what I'm doing (more or less), that's why I noticed the issue and
it is not a real problem for me. I'm more concerned about regular users
who may not notice the issue. At least the kubuntu 14.04.3 desktop i386
iso image comes with the linux-generic-lts-vivid kernel and IIRC the
linux-generic kernel isn't installed. Therefore someone using that image
for the initial install wouldn't notice that the kernel no longer gets
updates after the upgrade to 16.04.