parsing upstream version and revision from Ubuntu package Version strings

Stephen Quintero stephen at datagridsys.com
Fri Jan 15 21:58:45 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

Thank you for this clarification.  The situation appears complicated
because Ubuntu receives a package which may or may not include a Debian
revision.  Regardless, if Ubuntu modifies the source, it appends ubuntu*
(no hyphen).  This is what I did not discover through searching and is the
origin of my question.

If I understand correctly, to deconstruct the result in reverse temporal
order:

   1. To find an Ubuntu revision, if any, chop right on ubuntu*
   2. To find a Debian revision, if any, chop right on hyphen
   3. Chop right on ~ and + to remove what is not clear yet
   4. What remains is the original upstream version (optional epoch) from
   which this chain of transformation emerged (it may be a Debian product or
   originate upstream of Debian)

The function of ~ and + are still not entirely clear to me.  It seems:

1.0~foo means derives from version 1.0 preceding commit foo
1.0+foo means derives from version 1.0 succeeding commit foo

So that 1.0~foo+really.bar means?

Best regards,

Stephen Quintero