Support status of nginx in Ubuntu 14.04LTS expired in Feburary 2015?

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 25 21:57:09 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 25 April 2016 at 19:45, Andreas Wundsam
<andreas.wundsam at bigswitch.com> wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu Maintainers,
>
> I was surprised to see that ubuntu-support-status shows the support of
> package nginx expired in February 2015?
>
> ---
> $ ubuntu-support-status --show-all
> [....]
> Supported until February 2015 (9m):
> [...] nginx nginx-common
> ---
>
> apt show shows the package as being in main, but receiving only 9 months of
> support:
>
> ---
> Supported: 9m
> APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
> ----
>
> So far, it has been my world view that packages that reside in the main
> repository would receive the full 5 years of LTS support.
>
> What am I missing?

To answer your question about Trusty however, nginx source package
builds some thing into main (with 5 years of security support) and
into universe (community security support only).

Main:
nginx, nginx-common, nginx-core, nginx-doc

Universe:
nginx-extras, nginx-full, nginx-light, nginx-naxsi, nginx-naxsi-ui

My understand is that nginx packages that are in main, should be in
the server supported seed and should have received Supported: 5 years
field. This is the case in xenial.

Looking at the package set changes, in xenial nginx correctly declares
"5 years" of support. Which seems to be due to this commit from
stgraber:

revno: 1978
committer: Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com>
branch nick: platform.utopic
timestamp: Fri 2014-08-15 11:22:21 -0400
message:
  Move server stuff from ubuntu/supported

I guess we can do a similar commit for trusty, and then the supported
fields will be corrected in the -security/-updates pockets.

If server team agrees.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.