Account Management / Shared Secret Generator

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at canonical.com
Sun Jun 14 12:55:43 UTC 2015

Michael Titke wrote on 11/06/15 15:42:

> I propose to include my Internet account password creation scheme
> into the current account / password / keychain management systems
> on Ubuntu.

That would be excellent!

> Whenever you would like to do something very very important you
> probably will need a new password for subscribing to a mailing
> list, creating another online account and else. After some
> password you start to develop a scheme on how to easily create new
> passwords but it remains daunting. The password storage and
> retrieval is already done by Firefox, Thunderbird, Key Chain and
> Account Managers but the password creation is still left to the
> user who - as a matter of fact - only needs to memorize his master
> password.
>
> To fill the gap I have written a small command line utility in
> Guile Scheme which serves my needs. For those interested I
> attached the program. But I would like to see this feature
> incorporated into the existing solutions in the open source world.

Think of the funnel that people need to go through, to benefit from a
password generator. Broadly, they need to do four things:

1. Notice that the generator exists.

Probably 90%+ of the time that people choose a new password they are
concentrating on a Web page. So to be noticeable, you'll need to embed
a button directly into the "Choose password:" field on that page. So
you'll need a browser extension. (The extension should look for
<form>s that contain at least two <input type="password"> fields; the
penultimate one will be a "Choose password" field. There may need to
be a maintained list of popular sites that flout this heuristic.)

That leaves native apps. To make your generator noticeable in those,
you'll need to provide it as part of the password field control in
toolkits for app developers to use. Here you have three problems to
tackle: language, toolkits, and adoption. Language: Writing in Scheme
is of little benefit as long as Guile doesn't ship by default.
Toolkits: Ubuntu suffers from toolkit proliferation, in that we ship
apps with password fields in GTK (e.g. file-roller's "Compress"
dialog), XUL (Firefox and Thunderbird), VCL (LibreOffice's "File" >
"Properties" > "Security" > "Protect"), and soon QML (Ubuntu Touch
apps). The more toolkits you cover, the more work it will be, but the
more often people will be able to recognize and use the feature.
Adoption: Persuading app developers to adopt the toolkit feature once
it is implemented and shipping. More difficult for cross-platform apps.

2. Be interested enough to use it.

3. Be confident that they'll be able to use the password later.

These are interface design problems. The generator needs to be not
just easy to use, but satisfying to use (look up the research on the
psychological effects of password strength meters), and reassuring in
letting you know how you'll access the password later. Compare the
competition -- some designs are much better than others.
<https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/generating-a-password/>
<http://www.roboform.com/tutorial-password-generator>
<http://blogen.stickypassword.com/creating-strong-passwords-with-sticky-password/>
<https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=keepass+password+generator>

4. Actually be able to use the password later.

Here you defer to other apps. But it doesn't matter how great your
password generator is, people probably won't use it if they can't then
log in to the same service on their Windows/Mac PC, iPhone, Android
phone, or even Ubuntu phone. So to be reliable, the system needs to be
not just multi-app, but multi-platform, and automatic in syncing
passwords between devices. And I'm not aware of an open-source system
that meets those three requirements. Ubuntu's "Passwords & Keys"
(Seahorse) from Gnome is multi-app but single-platform. KeePass is
multi-app and multi-platform, but syncing is tediously manual. And
Firefox Sync is multi-platform-ish (no longer on iOS) and automatic --
but it's single-app, in that (as far as I can tell) it works only for
passwords inside Firefox.

None of this is to put you off, I'm just sketching a map of the terrain.
If all you want to do is integrate your generator with what Ubuntu has
right now, you could port it from Scheme to a language we ship, and
add a new dialog to Seahorse ... but few people would notice. If you
have a more substantial goal -- to noticeably improve the quality of
Ubuntu users' Internet passwords, say -- the first thing I'd tackle
would be the device syncing problem. That could help people who are
using KeePass right now, as well as influencing the architecture of any
parts of the problem you work on later.

Cheers
- --
mpt