Anti-feature: installing and replacing applications on update

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 26 15:35:39 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 01:40:54PM +0000, Bernie wrote:
> Upgrades simply should NOT do this, they should only upgrade programs which
> are already installed.

> [...]

> Policy changes as to which applications are installed should only happen in
> new releases.

Indeed this is the policy. See [1] for details. I'm not aware of an
exception in your case, and I'd assume there isn't one unless somebody
else responds.

So it sounds like the behaviour you've observed is either a bug or a
misconfiguration, and you should proceed accordingly. I would start by
finding steps to reproduce the issue on a fresh install (eg. inside a
VM).

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates