Window Controls on the Right Side

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 30 00:32:57 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Martinx - ジェームズ's message of 2015-04-28 21:40:11 -0700:
> On 28 April 2015 at 20:56, Mark Faine <mark.faine at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I can understand if Ubuntu wants to be backward and contrary and default
> > the window controls to the wrong side for new installations, but why must
> > they force the issue.  From what I understand it is very difficult, to the
> > point of being impractical, to move them to the right side, due to
> > decisions that were made specifically to prevent it.  I don't understand
> > this kind of thinking.  Please give me the ability to put my window
> > controls on the correct (right) side.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> I am very happy with window controls on the correct (left) side.   :-P
>
> It is close to the App's Menus (I don't need to travel the entire screen to
> hit those buttons) and Unity left panel.
>
> If I'm not wrong, with Ubuntu Teak Tools, you can do that, with Ubuntu
> Gnome, you can do that, for sure.

The entire reason for them being on the left is to make the top-right
of the screen consequence free for a single click. This is to encourage
the user to dig into the indicators and to help developers inform users
easily in a uniform way.

Hate on it all you want, this is safer for new users, and it's almost
a perfect copy of one of the things that is actually good about OS X.

I've grown accustomed now, and I prefer it this way. :)