Our Networking Story

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Fri Mar 7 17:57:44 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 01:02:33PM +0000, Robie Basak wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 10:44:07PM -0800, Dale Amon wrote:
> > I often configure laptops that for security have wifi, bluetooth
> > etc all turned off at BIOS level, and the only ethernet connection
> > is not to the internet but to a disconnected network that attaches
> > to real, live and quite serious equipment (don't think computer
> > equipment think *equipment*). I really appreciate it when network
> > manager doesn't fight with me over the eth not having any external
> > gateway. I get really annoyed if it does that, but with saucy
> > network-manager and I have at least a temporary truce. It lets
> > me do what I want with eth1 in interfaces and doesn't try to turn
> > it off. And yes, in a previous version it did do that... I used
> > to have to shut it down or even de-install it.
>
> So it works, and you have no problem now?

This is for the general discussion, an example of mission critical
usage of the networking infrastructure that should be taken into
consideration as people work through their ideas on where
networking control is going.

As to your question, yes, until the next release. I always face
version upgrades with trepidation. I've still not fully recovered
from the upgrade to saucy on my laptop. The list of things that
broke is getting shorter, but I only get a few hours free each
weekend to even think about it.