Our Networking Story

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 7 13:01:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 11:32:41PM +0100, Stanisław Hodur wrote:
> If talking about the network, I would add:
>
> *Wifi + Ethernet on Desktop*
> The network gets lost if you have both wireless and Ethernet connection.
> The wired network should be the preferred one, as it is usually
> faster. Or else, the recently connected/enabled can become active.
> Anyway, plugging in should not spoil the connection, as it does now
> -- I have to disable wireless network manually to get the eth
> working.

This sounds like a straightforward issue that can be solved in one
component (NetworkManager), and it just needs someone to work with
upstream and get it done.

If I understand you correctly, I have the same issue. To work around, I
have static IP entries defined in NetworkManager, with neither on
automatic. Then I just disconnect one before connecting the other, and
my laptop roams between wifi and wired ethernet seamlessly.