Ubuntu-devel-discuss Digest, Vol 88, Issue 7

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 13:32:56 UTC 2014

previously on this list ubuntu-devel-discuss-request at lists.ubuntu.com
contributed:

>  I really appreciate it when network
> manager doesn't fight with me over the eth not having any external
> gateway. I get really annoyed if it does that, but with saucy
> network-manager and I have at least a temporary truce. It lets
> me do what I want with eth1 in interfaces and doesn't try to turn
> it off. And yes, in a previous version it did do that... I used
> to have to shut it down or even de-install it.

I never use network manager but just in case it's of use, check
out /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services

Stupid place I know (not a Ubuntu decision) and documented very poorly
in the man pages but you can mv the network manager files out (I use an
off folder within) or by also moving the polkit files, be pretty
confident that the machine will only allow as root what you OK in
sudoers with added security for many reasons or with suid execs.

You can have a boot script to ask whether to move them in and out for
different locations.

p.s. I think Ubuntu shipping sudoers files with lines that can be easily
enabled (if following the authors wishes of secure by default) or
disabled with # and enabled by default for Ubuntus goals of usable
by default would be a far more easily and centrally managed ,intuitve
and controlled system than the current one not to mention more secure
in many ways including showing users they can lock down their
desktops beyond ALL:ALL.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)