Devuan

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult enrico.weigelt at gr13.net
Tue Dec 2 21:52:08 UTC 2014

On 02.12.2014 11:11, Stephen P. Villano wrote:

> Personally, I prefer SElinux to polkit, but such isn't part of the

Dont they play in entirely different areas ?

I just started to care about polkit, when began doing weird things
and causing network-manager to break (more precise: the gnome
frontend suddenly wasn't authorized anymore). So I digged a bit
deeper, wondering why the usual group memberships didn't work anymore
(had to rewrite several polkit configs to make it work again).

At that point it was clear to me that it's a pretty useless invention,
just caused by the fact that some folks, for dubious reasons, prefer
doing everything via RPC on an broadcast channel (dbus) and then have
the problem of selective access control - things which old-fashnioned
Unix guys like me always did via direct links and filesystem
permissions.

One of my side projects now is getting rid of polkit/dbus at all,
replace it by a clean plan9-alike approach, of course using factotum
for authentication.

> I used to run SuSE until Novell screwed it up.

They've been screwing up even before Novell. 4.4.1 was the best
release they ever had - after that it just went worse and worse.
All the good people had been running away (I just happen to know
some of them personally, and know some of their reasons) - the
novell merge was more a logical consequence of that path :p

cu
--
Enrico Weigelt,
metux IT consulting