Let good developers like Mozilla to maintenance their packages

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 20 18:06:20 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-21 00:40 (GMT+0800) PillowSky composed:

> Post on ubuntuforum
> Link:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2175314
> In the E-mail is just a summary.

> I find none of the maintainers are the software developers themselves.

Here's one reason why:

Ubuntu was born less than 9 years ago. Of the most popular current distros,
it's among the youngest. The more mature Mozilla developers picked their
Linux distros before Ubuntu did more than a little maturing, 10-15 years ago,
so these more experienced developers are mostly RedHat->Fedora (heavily
Gnome/GTK), SuSE->openSUSE (more evenly KDE as Gnome),
Mandrake->Mandriva->Mageia (more strongly KDE than Gnome), Debian, Slackware
and maybe a few other more mature distro users. Most devs don't switch
distros willy nilly. Those Mozilla devs using *buntu are mostly younger and
less experienced, and more likely volunteers than subsidized or salaried to
work on Mozilla.

I use the binaries built by Mozilla.org more than those built and
"personalized" by the various distros. I get better control over which
versions are installed, and since I need more than just latest version, I
have a more consistent experience by sticking to binaries build by only one
source, regardless what I have booted.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/