Let good developers like Mozilla to maintenance their packages

Scott Howard showard314 at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 20 17:15:17 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM, PillowSky <prefix at pillowsky.org> wrote:
> Post on ubuntuforum
> Link:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2175314
> In the E-mail is just a summary.
>
> I find none of the maintainers are the software developers themselves.

I always try to get upstream to lead or at least be involved in
packaging (I just worked to make sure they're doing it in an
archive-compatible way). However, the majority of the time upstream is
not interested in packaging for any OS beyond a downloadable
executable. Mozilla seems to follow that; they may not want to spend
the resources to integrate into a specific linux distribution when
they can distribute binaries. Some see Ubuntu packagers as blessings
(free labor helping out with distribution) while others are frustrated
(for modifying their source code to be policy compliant, not being
able to update stable release versions for new features/bug fixes like
your complaint).

This may be something about which you should ask Mozilla. Ubuntu can't
force Mozilla developers to work on packaging.

Regards,
Scott