[nvidia-graphics-drivers] frustration with slow Nvidia drivers release schedule

AG Restringere ag.restringere at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 19:50:19 UTC 2013

> If you have a support contract with Canonical, then maybe Canonical has a
> support obligation, but Ubuntu, in particular for proprietary software,
has no
> support "obligation".

No, that's not it, let's not confuse the issue, the commercial side and
Canonical has nothing do with what I'm currently advocating. I never
mentioned Canonical because I was distinguishing this from the commercial
side of things.  This is purely a community support and engineering
best-practices issue, not a commercial issue. The Linux Kernel guys have no
commercial contracts with us but they embrace "best practices" and use the
best recommendations to make sure they provide the best support for the
Kernel. It's not commercial it's a community support obligation and
engineering best-practices.

This is the basis for the open-source Linux community, people helping each
other to obtain the best possible systems.  It's also the purpose of
Ubuntu, "I am because of who we all are" and "Linux for human beings".  To
suggest that we need commercial contracts just to get proper device support
for very mainstream and common graphics cards defeats the whole purpose of
open-source Linux distributions, you might as well get an Apple Mac or
Windows computer, there's no point to it.  It's like saying we need a
commercial contract with the Linux Foundation just to get support for Intel
and AMD CPU's, it's absurd.