any plymouth ...

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu May 16 19:54:23 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-16 21:27 (GMT+0200) Thomas Prost composed:

> Martin Pitt wrote:

>> Thomas Prost wrote:

>> > So the question is: What must I do to carry on, seeing all what the
>> > machine is doing - instead of that nice aubergine screen ?

>> Drop the "splash" boot option. You can do this for an individual boot
>> in the grub menu editor (press shift after power on to get to the grub
>> menu), or permantly in /etc/default/grub and then running
>> "sudo update-grub".

> You mean that -->

> #GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="noplymouth noquiet nosplash"

> I changed the outcommented original first deleting splash - no boot
> messages :-(
> Then deleted quiet also - still no messages :-(

> Then filled in all I could find - up to what you see above.
> Even if it might not be meaningful it doesn't produce error messages -
> but still no boot messages on my screen, that still switches to
> aubergine. Only the Ubuntu sign isn't shown anymore ...

> Is it possible, that there are scripts pre-loading plymouth ?

Rebuilding initrd to exclude plymouth should work, but first try
splash=verbose on cmdline. You don't need noquiet to not have quiet. Just
remove quiet to get the default of not quiet. Playmouth=0 ought to work as
well, as should splash=0, which splash=verbose at least used to be an alias
of, which in turn at least used to be an alias of the default of no splash of
any kind.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/