Privacy features in Touch (cyanogenmod)?

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 24 19:58:37 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Marc Deslauriers <
marc.deslauriers at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 13-06-23 04:06 PM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> > The person in question has perhaps the most foremost expertise on
> Information
> > Security and Privacy in our community and perhaps in other communities
> as well.
> > He is widely respected and I don't think its just his opinion. I think
> its
> > widely held that the Amazon Scope is a privacy fail by community members
> at ever
> > level of the Ubuntu project.
>
> Different people have different levels of privacy. Some people refuse to
> use
> Facebook, but I do, even though I know they are using my information for ad
> purposes. That's a level I am ok with.
>
> When I showed a Friend the Amazon Scope, he though it was so cool he asked
> how
> to install it in Ubuntu 12.04.

So one friend liking the feature justifies ignoring widely held views that
the feature is invasive and should be opt-in?

> Please stop assuming everyone has the same notion of privacy as you do.
> Opinions
> differ. I completely disagree with the notion that having a global search
> box in
> Ubuntu is a privacy issue.

I'm not assuming everyone has the same notion of privacy that I do.  I do
however I assume that most people do not know what truly is and why it is
important. Privacy is more than just preventing private information from
being share or leaked. It is more importantly about the choice of users and
individuals to decided when and where there information is shared.

In the case of the scope in question it does not give users control or
choice by default but instead makes the choice for them. That is a lack of
privacy.

> In Unity 8, you can select right in the Dash which scopes can see your
> search
> queries, and which don't.

Sure and you can disable it currently but thats not the point. The point is
that Canonical has made a decision for its user in regards to how
information is shared by default and that again is a lack of privacy and
disrespectful to user choice.

> >     The trade-off of the scopes features was well understood and just
> like
> >     many other controversial decisions that have been made over the
> years,
> >     it was decided that overall it would benefit the project the most in
> >     the mid/long-term.
> >

> > I'm not saying all scopes are bad or privacy fails because not all
> scopes are
> > install by default and not all scopes take users search queries in the
> home
> > portion of the Unity Dash with such blatant lack of respect for user
> choice and
> > privacy.
>
> I don't know what you mean by that. It's clear that you're searching the
> Internet, and it can be disabled with a single click. What do you consider
> to be
> a "blatant lack of respect for user choice and privacy"?

Any occasion where users systems upon upgrade or fresh install will result
in their searches on their desktop being sent to a private company without
them opting in to such. Privacy is all about control and choice.

> Marc.

*Benjamin Kerensa*
*http://benjaminkerensa.com*
*"I am what I am because of who we all are" - Ubuntu*