Privacy features in Touch (cyanogenmod)?

Marc Deslauriers marc.deslauriers at canonical.com
Mon Jun 24 17:16:08 UTC 2013

On 13-06-23 04:06 PM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> The person in question has perhaps the most foremost expertise on Information
> Security and Privacy in our community and perhaps in other communities as well.
> He is widely respected and I don't think its just his opinion. I think its
> widely held that the Amazon Scope is a privacy fail by community members at ever
> level of the Ubuntu project.

Different people have different levels of privacy. Some people refuse to use
Facebook, but I do, even though I know they are using my information for ad
purposes. That's a level I am ok with.

When I showed a Friend the Amazon Scope, he though it was so cool he asked how
to install it in Ubuntu 12.04.

Please stop assuming everyone has the same notion of privacy as you do. Opinions
differ. I completely disagree with the notion that having a global search box in
Ubuntu is a privacy issue.

In Unity 8, you can select right in the Dash which scopes can see your search
queries, and which don't.

>     The trade-off of the scopes features was well understood and just like
>     many other controversial decisions that have been made over the years,
>     it was decided that overall it would benefit the project the most in
>     the mid/long-term.
>

> I'm not saying all scopes are bad or privacy fails because not all scopes are
> install by default and not all scopes take users search queries in the home
> portion of the Unity Dash with such blatant lack of respect for user choice and
> privacy.

I don't know what you mean by that. It's clear that you're searching the
Internet, and it can be disabled with a single click. What do you consider to be
a "blatant lack of respect for user choice and privacy"?

Marc.