Developing for ubuntu-desktop

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Wed Jun 12 21:03:43 UTC 2013

What I would like to do is to complement the VPN service of the network
applet. It currently connects to a very restricted number of VPNs, by
default - it's worse than my mobile phone - heck, even my windows XP has
more options.

My idea was to "fix" ubuntu for my personal need: To make the Network
Assistant connect to L2TP as well as the current possibilities.

There are possible packages, like openswan, xl2tp and some others. As the
main developer knows, the current l2tp-ipsec-vpn is broken on ubuntu, and
it's been for a while. The current recipe you find online is:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:werner-jaeger/ppa-werner-vpn
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install l2tp-ipsec-vpn

Werner Jäger is the DD responsible for this package, and he set this PPA
for ubuntu (Why the DD set up a PPA instead of being the maintainer on
ubuntu as well is beyond me). It is currently broken, unfortunately.

So, if someone could give me a "get started" with code guidelines for this
kind of application that integrates directly into ubuntu's desktop applet,
that would be great.

Thanks!

--
[]