ubuntu core - kernel installation question

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 4 13:13:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 03:47:57PM +0000, Tim Verstraete wrote:
> I am evaluating ubuntu core 12.10 (this version because of touch
> screen support) and I am following
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Core/InstallationExample and up until the
> installation of the kernel everything is working (if I reuse a kernel
> installation from previous builds (my own builds) everything is fine)
> BUT when I want to install a .deb with the kernel selected from the
> packages list I get:
>
> root at ubuntu:/tmp# dpkg -i --force-all linux-image-3.5.0-21-generic_3.5.0-21.32_amd64.deb

Never use --force-all.  It is very dangerous and is entirely capable of
accidentally trashing large swathes of your filesystem when a less
cavalier set of options would have produced a sensible error messages.
All the reasonable things you might want to force have much safer
alternatives.

[...]
> grep: /proc/cpuinfo: No such file or directory
[...]
> This is normal since we have no proc/cpuinfo ... how can I overrule
> this check on cpuinfo?

Is there any reason not to bind-mount /proc into your chroot?  We don't
support running very much without /proc in place, and certainly not
installing packages in general.

Cheers,