kexec and Grub

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 11 00:12:07 UTC 2013

On 10 February 2013 23:52, John Moser <john.r.moser at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/10/2013 06:22 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>>
>> Yes, it might be mine or someone else's.  There's an ANCIENT spec for
>> "RapidReboot"
>>
>> Nah, I was thinking about more recent stuff which is exactly what's
>> proposed in the quickly reboot.
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SessionHandling#Restart
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartupSettings
>

> I wish I could un-see that second one.  I'm completely baffled as to what
> "startup software" is (I'd imagine that would be the bootloader, kernel,

Hehe. I believe the original goal was to provide an easy way to
customise grub and/or restore default grub settings.
We have way to many reports of people modifying grub config and
copy&pasting “ ” from blogs instead of " " which breaks boot.
This is a way to address this with simple way to choose what to boot,
whether to show choices during the boot and select what to boot into
next.

I see your point that it will not magically fix all possible startup
problems within the whole stack =)

But the reboot popup fixes would be nice ;-)

Cheers,

Dmitrijs.