Puppet version bump

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 21:09:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon at envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM, John Moser <john.r.moser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On a related note, Puppet 3.1 came out ... yesterday.  So next debate:
>>  3.0.2 or 3.1 into Debian experimental?  (I've been trying to get it
>> brought in)
>
> If it were me, I would rather fight to upgrade once, not twice.
>
>> 3.1 did not include https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/16856 or I
>> would be lobbying heavily for 3.1 into Experimental and then directly
>> into Ubuntu.  As is, there are good arguments for sticking to 3.0.2 in
>> this scenario (notably:  stuff was deprecated in 3.0; it is GONE in
>> 3.1, and now Ubuntu/Debian have to make a jump since next Stable will
>> be 2.7 for Debian and the last was 2.7 for Ubuntu.  The 2.7 -> 3.1
>> jump is nasty).
>
> Exactly my point, I would rather fight once to upgrade then fight once
> to upgrade then have to fight again to figure out what hell broke in
> the next upgrade though most of the time it can be somewhat straight
> forward if treading carefully.  I'd rather it all fall down at once
> during a test-run and it be fixed than me have to do those runs twice
> in the same year.

I work in a place without staging, and we desperately need it, and I
am becoming slowly more aggressive and will be making arguments after
I torch my burn down charts.

Think about that though.  No testing environment.  So much pain.

With a testing environment, massive breakage to me is just a
playground and casual Friday.