Puppet version bump

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Tue Feb 5 21:07:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 3:00 PM, John Moser <john.r.moser at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a related note, Puppet 3.1 came out ... yesterday.  So next debate:
>  3.0.2 or 3.1 into Debian experimental?  (I've been trying to get it
> brought in)

If it were me, I would rather fight to upgrade once, not twice.

> 3.1 did not include https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/16856 or I
> would be lobbying heavily for 3.1 into Experimental and then directly
> into Ubuntu.  As is, there are good arguments for sticking to 3.0.2 in
> this scenario (notably:  stuff was deprecated in 3.0; it is GONE in
> 3.1, and now Ubuntu/Debian have to make a jump since next Stable will
> be 2.7 for Debian and the last was 2.7 for Ubuntu.  The 2.7 -> 3.1
> jump is nasty).

Exactly my point, I would rather fight once to upgrade then fight once
to upgrade then have to fight again to figure out what hell broke in
the next upgrade though most of the time it can be somewhat straight
forward if treading carefully.  I'd rather it all fall down at once
during a test-run and it be fixed than me have to do those runs twice
in the same year.