NetworkManager cleartext config files vs home folder encryption

Dimitri John Ledkov xnox at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 25 09:36:44 UTC 2013

> Hello,
>
> I recently stumbled over the fact, that NetworkManager by default stores
> Wifi profiles *including clear text passwords* under
> `/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/`.

It's stored there because "All users may connect to this network"
ticked on that Wifi connection point. Open network indicator -> Edit
connections ... -> Select network -> Click edit... -> in general tab
untick "All users may connect to this network".

If you do have multiple users, you may either setup wifi connection on
each user account or use Full-disk-encryption (requires repartitioning
or reinstallation).

> I think that is not what one expects when he/she turns on home folder
> encryption and should because of that be corrected somehow.[1]
>
> All the best,
> Per Guth
>
> [1]: I fixed it for me (a single user system) by moving the config files
> into my home folder as documented here:
> http://echt.guth.so/moving-networkmanager-config-files-to-home/

That guide worries me. One shouldn't need to compile a seuid binary =/
and especially not to interact with upstart, one can use policykit to
allow unprivileged users to control a system job.

If the GUI method to configure this, provided above, doesn't work, let me know.

Regards,

Dimitri.