mdadm bugs 946758 and 946344 (was: Re: Private bugs - mdadm)

Robie Basak robie.basak at canonical.com
Wed Jul 4 09:23:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 08:57:15PM +1200, Tim Frost wrote:
> Now that I can see activity and comments for both bug reports, I see
> that apport-retrace has changed the summary in bug 946758, although the
> crash reports on the affected systems that I run show the same
> information as in bug 946344.
>
> What is the best forum for discussing these specific bugs?  And, as an
> affected user, how can I assist in working to identify cause, and/or
> possible fixes [the affected systems are my work desktop, and my main
> home system, so I don't want to put alpha code on either of them]?

I browsed the bug and from looking at the stack trace the problem seemed
obvious, so I investigated and have posted a fix. It's now in the
sponsorship queue so somebody will review it in the next week or two.

The bug doesn't exist in Quantal as it has already been fixed upstream.
It only affects Precise.

If this is to get fixed in Precise, the hardest part is to get the fix
tested carefully to ensure that it doesn't cause regressions. Assuming
that the fix is accepted for Precise, it'll enter precise-proposed and
there will be a call for testing in the bug. If you can follow the bug
and test the proposed package when it is announced, then this would be
great. If nobody can test a proposed fix, then it is unlikely to go in,
and your only option will be to upgrade to the next release when it
comes out.

Robie