cpufreqd as standard install?

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 21:40:38 UTC 2012

Has anyone considered cpufreqd in standard install?

I have a 1.9GHz Athlon 64 X-2 with stock heat sink (recently cleaned and
inspected) and fan (operating at 3200RPM).  Its clock rates are 1.9GHz,
1.8GHz, and 1.0GHz.

At full load (encoding a video), it eventually reaches 80C and the
system shuts down.

I currently have cpufreqd configured to clock to 1.8GHz at 73C, and move
to the ondemand governor at 70C.

At 73C, the system switches from 1.9GHz to 1.8GHz.  Ten seconds later,
it's at 70C and switches back to 1.9GHz.  41 seconds after that, it
reaches 73C again and switches to 1.8GHz.

That means at stock frequency (1.9GHz) with stock cooling equipment, the
CPU overheats under full load.  Clocked 0.1GHz slower than its rated
speed, it rapidly cools.  Which is ridiculous; who designed this thing?

Besides this, it would be possible to enter power save mode on laptops
and UPS based on battery life remaining.